Google Reader or Homepage Items

Train Wrapped in Red Says Safety
Tuesday, January 18, 2011 5:25 PM

Collage of "Stop. Think" train unveilling

For the first time in METRORail's history, an entire rail car was completely wrapped  to promote a safety message: Stop. Think.

A vertical traffic signal on the red wrap added a visual cue.

Despite a morning drizzle amid grey skies, excitement built inside the Rail Operation Center (the ROC) as  officials, employees and media  waited for the newly wrapped fire-engine-red train to be launched.

METRO Chairman Gilbert Garcia explained that we wrapped the train to remind motorists and pedestrians to stop and think before proceeding through an intersection.

"The NEW METRO considers the safety of our passengers and the public to be so critical, we've made it one of our guiding principles," said Garcia. "Safety at rail crossings isn't just a METRO issue, it's a concern for all law enforcement agencies."

He outlined some of the things METRO has already accomplished to increase safety awareness, including: in-pavement lights, LED back plates on 24 traffic signals and an educational campaign at 22 HISD schools.

"In the past six years, we have seen a steady drop in the number of light-rail accidents on METRORail, but even one accident is too many," said Greanias. "That's why the NEW METRO will continue to look for new avenues to promote safety, not just on METRORail but on the system as a whole. We hope our newly wrapped train will help foster this message."

The train will be wrapped for six months. If you haven't seen red on the rail yet, look for it and tell us what you think.

Posted by Mary Sit
Filed under: , , ,

DominicMazoch said:

It's loud.  Looks like some of the electric motors used on the SBB rail system in Switzerland.

# January 18, 2011 8:20 PM

Mary Sit said:

The photographs posted were taken by Ernest Chou,  community rep.

# January 19, 2011 9:56 AM

Cedric Collins said:

I rode the red train; I rode the red train; I rode the red train!

Yes - this morning, I rode METRORail car 101 (the one dedicated to former Houston Mayor Lee P. Brown) and it was wrapped in red with the message, "Stop. Think."  Nice wrap if you ask me.  People were talking about it while I was on the bus, but I didn't know that I was going to be that lucky---on HUMP DAY, mind you!

Just FYI for ya!

# January 19, 2011 12:24 PM

Signalwriter said:

Great graphics (and thanks, Cedric, for the on-site report). I posted about this new car here:

Now I've got to get downtown so I can say, "I rode the red train!"

# January 19, 2011 1:13 PM

Mary Sit said:

I read your link - thanks for writing about our red train on your blog. Haven't gotten your e-mail yet, but here's the info you wanted.

The wrap was designed by Karl Koch, METRO's manager of creative services.

"We wanted the message to be quick, simple because it's a moving billboard," said Koch, who's worked here 10 years. "I wanted to make a connection to stop running stoplights. So I just made a giant stoplight to reinforce the graphics. It stands out quite well against the red."

# January 20, 2011 11:17 AM

Richard Laurence Baron said:

Mary, many thanks for the additional information, just the thing for Signalwriter's art director and graphic designer readers.

And way to go, Karl..the Swiss element is distinctive. Please, METRO, can we have some more?

# January 20, 2011 4:15 PM

Mary Sit said:

Want a behind-the-scenes look at how we wrapped the train? Watch a time lapse that compresses eight hours to two minutes on our Facebook page.

Staff graphic designer Brian Rogers produced it.

"It's just a series of photos. We set up two different cameras shooting at six-second intervals and pieced it all together," said Rogers.

Here's the link.

# January 21, 2011 4:47 PM

Cedric Collins said:

You're welcome Signalwriter and kudos to Karl Koch for creating the design.

"George Greanias, METRO president & CEO, said he recently saw a wrapped train promoting safety in Phoenix, Ariz., and thought that method could be an eye-popping message here in Houston."

This quoted statement popped out to two Valley Metro employees who I had to share this blog topic with (they also have a wrapped LRT) and one of them called us, "Copy cats."  *lol*

I would have to agree with Richard Laurence Baron on this one.  METRO should try to be like other TAs---meaning---fully wrapping LRTs AND buses promoting safety becase things can and will happen not just around METRORail but also around buses.

My two cents for today.