Google Reader or Homepage
    del.icio.us Items

myFeedster

Tags

Archives

Bikes and Buses: A Winning Combination
Monday, December 07, 2009 4:28 PM

Young woman riding bikeMore and more of our customers are getting where they need to go by combining a bike ride with a bus ride.

Our latest stats show that November recorded 5 percent more boardings than the previous month with 7,092 boardings.

We've been experiencing a steady growth in bikes on buses - a 48 percent increase from two years ago. In November FY09, we had 4,778 buses on board. And in November FY08, we had 717 buses.

Our fiscal year begins Oct. 1.

The total number of boardings since we installed bike racks on our buses is 104,084.

Bike racks on our local buses can hold two bikes at one time. Park & Ride buses stow bikes in the belly of the bus where luggage typically goes.

If you're unsure how to mount your bike on a bus rack on our bus, click here for step-by-step instructions.

Posted by Mary Sit
Filed under:

Comments

Peter Wang said:

I saw bikes on the Seattle light rail when I was there recently. Why can't we do that here?

# December 7, 2009 8:08 PM

HoustonHater said:

@Peter Wang

Seattle?

# December 8, 2009 7:06 PM

Mary Sit said:

Peter Wang,

When METRO ordered its new CAF trains, it used a unique and non-traditional approach. It used a standard, off-the-shelf design with no detailed specs from METRO.

METRO received proposals from five international suppliers, none of which had bike racks as part of their proposal, since bike racks are not considered industry standard.

By doing this, we were able to save more than $36 million, when compared to recent procurements in other U.S. cities.

The new rail cars will be 100 percent low floor (one level) and will have more standing-room capcity than our current trains.

We do allow bikes on trains during off-peak hours when they can be safely accommodated.

# December 15, 2009 4:50 PM

don y said:

Maybe with that extra $36 million to play with Metro can give the trolley operators some training.

# December 16, 2009 4:36 PM

DominicMazoch said:

It should not take $36 Mil to put racks on the things.

# December 19, 2009 7:52 AM

Peter Wang said:

I'd be shocked if it didn't save money to put in bike racks... because you add a hook, a delete two seats. Hooks are cheaper than seats.

The Mayor-Elect agrees with BikeHouston, by the way. METRO might be quickly changing it's tune because of new board members, new chair, new CEO.

# December 21, 2009 3:39 PM

Woody Speer said:

I saw a METRO bus roll by at 6:15 am this morning with 8 passengers and two bikes on the racks.  Thank heavens for bikes on buses (BOB)or the bus boarding numbers would even be lower.

Mary, METRO has had a history of resisting (BOB) and they did so between 1989 through early 2007.  This same resistance mentality seems to have found its way into not allowing bikes on hangers inside the new LR cars.  METRO claimed for years to the  bicycling community that BOB would never work in Houston and that the usage would be limited and that the $300,000 of local funding to install bike racks fleetwide would be way to expensive to handle.  METRO is applying this same old myopic vision to bikes inside LR cars.  Bicycling activists were way on top of this one as full blown presentation of bikes properly hung on hangers inside LR cars was given to the METRO board a full year before METRO ordered the new rail cars.  There is no way that this initiative would cost more than a few thousand per rail car.  When you consider the billions that will be spent on building out the rail on streets where sticking a rail line will be like trying to put a square peg in a round hole, this is an insignificant amount.  What's it going to take to make this happen, short of a newly appointed board by our newly elected Mayor to change this mindset?

# December 22, 2009 9:20 PM

Daphne said:

I would like to know exactly what hours bikes are allowed on busses. I would also like to know how to find out exactly which busses have bike racks. I'm not super experienced with riding the bus and would like to be more informed before I jump on with my bike. My concern is that on my way home I may be denied access to the bus with my bike if it's the wrong time.
# January 4, 2010 9:02 AM